As the holidays wind down and we head into 2022, we wish our customers, family and friends a wonderful, happy and healthy New Year! We thought it would be fun to share some facts about New Years for you to delight those with whom you are celebrating.
- The first New Year’s celebration dates back to the time of Julius Caesar, 4000 years ago. He was the first to declare January 1 a national holiday.
- Caesar named the month January after Janus, the Roman god of doors and gates. Janus has two faces, one looking forward and one backward. Pretty fitting for this holiday!
- 45% of Americans make New Year’s Resolutions and 25% give up on them by the second week of January.
- Americans drink close to 360 million glasses of sparkling wine during this time.
- Auld Lang Syne was written by poet Robert Burns in 1788. Its message is to remember your loved ones, dead or alive and keep them close to your heart.
- Baby New Year is the symbol most commonly associated with New Year’s. He is often depicted in a diaper, black top hat and a sash with the new year on it. Myth states that he ages into an old man throughout the year.
- Be sure to lock your car on New Year’s Day – more cars are stolen on this day than any other holiday.
Need some new bling to ring in the new year? Stop by Bridgewaters and pick out your perfect piece for 2022. And share your resolutions on Bridgewaters Facebook page. Happy New Year!