Happy July 4th!
July 4th is just around the corner and with the weather being beautiful and more people vaccinated, we’ll spend lots of time outside with family and friends. To get you ready for the holiday, here are some fun facts about Independence Day!
- The official vote to declare independence from Britain was held on July 2, 1776 and the Declaration was adopted and published on July 4. The Declaration was only signed by two men, Charles Thompson and John Hancock, on July 4th. The rest of the 56 delegates from the original 13 colonies signed over the next month.
- Independence Day became a federal holiday in 1870.
- Every July 4th the Liberty Bell is tapped thirteen times in honor of the original thirteen colonies.
- Fireworks celebrating Independence Day date back to the first anniversary in 1777. Americans spend more than $1 billion on fireworks each year!
- Americans eat about 150 million hot dogs on July 4th It is estimated that 7 billion hot dogs are consumed between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
So fire up the grill and celebrate the birth of our nation! Bridgewater Jewelers wish everyone a very happy 4th of July!