The days are getting shorter and when that starts to happen, we all know what time it is! Back to School! If this time of year makes you a little down, we have just the fun facts to cheer you right up. Read on for fun facts about school.
Did you know…?
- High school didn’t exist until the 1930s when it was started due to the Great Depression and the lack of jobs. It was decided to keep kids in school and leave more job openings for adults with families.
- Boston Latin School is the oldest public school in the US, opening on April 23, 1635. It boasts attendance from Benjamin Franklin, John Hancock, Robert Treat Paine, Samuel Adams and William Hopper – all of whom signed the Declaration of Independence.
- In the US, there are about 480,000 school buses running each school day.
- Crayola started making crayons in 1903 and there were only 8 colors. Now there are 120 colors. It is estimated that by the time a child turns 10 years old, they have worn down 730 crayons.
- Most elementary school kids say recess is their favorite part of the day.
- The tradition of giving apples to teachers originates from 16th century Denmark when parents paid teachers with food because teachers didn’t earn much money.
- The average family spends $700 on school supplies each year.
- The average pencil writes about 45,000 words which translates to about 70 miles.
Bridgewaters can help with your school supplies! We have pencils engraved with inspirational sayings or you can customize your own. We can engrave notebooks, phones, ipads and lots more so your kids are ready to head back to school!